Salford Diocesan Archive
The RC Church of the English Martyrs, Urmston. B&M 1892-1918Code:
$10.80 inc VAT for customers within the EU
The RC Church of the English Martyrs, Urmston,
Baptisms and Marriages 1892-1918 (
Transcribed and Edited by L. R. Gregory. In association with the Salford Diocesan Archives.
The Urmston Mission was established as an out-station of All Saint`s, Barton in 1890, when a small building was opened in the village as a Catholic school. In 1891 Fr Francis Newton was sent to take charge and the first Mass was celebrated on the 4th October 1891. In these early years the Mission was linked with its fledgling sister- mission at Irlam. Fr Beulink arrived in 1893 and he built a corrugated iron chapel, paid for by Lady Annette de Trafford.
The present presbytery was purchased in 1900, and in 1901 the new school was opened. Fr Charles Rothwell arrived in 1902, and in 1913 he commenced work on the present church, it was formerly opened on 25th January 1914. In 1935 a new infant school was built and the schools were further extended in the 1940s.
In 1950 the daughter parish of St Monica, Flixton was cut off, and then in 1960, that of Our Lady of the Rosary, Davyhulme was established. The early registers of the parish which remain at the church were kindly made available to us by Fr Michael Jones in 2014 and are now published on this CD.
This CD contains full transcripts as well as PDF scans of the original registers, covering 514 baptisms and marriages. The scans and transcripts remain the copyright of the Salford D