Welcome to the MLFHS Online Shop
Cart 0
Radcliffe, St. Mary & St. Philip Neri RC Church, Baptisms 1886-1913 (Download)


Radcliffe, St. Mary & St. Philip Neri RC Church, Baptisms 1886-1913 (Download)


A chapel was opened here from Ramsbottom in 1863. The first chapel was in a garret and then in a disused Methodist chapel. Fr. Makchy O'Callaghan, who later went to Oldham, was here as the first resident priest. Fr. Richard Gerrard was here from 1867 to 1871 before going to Samlesbury. Canon John Musseley opened a fresh chapel here in 1878, Fr. Fowler, later at Rishton, built the present church in 1894.

Among the priests of some note that served the parish in the present century, mention must be made of Fr. Arthur McGrath, author of a popular novel called Via Dolorosa. A gifted painter and linguist, Canon Edward Bray, died here in 1926. He was followed in his office by Dr. Frederick Coupe, a well-known figure in the diocese and an expert in Canon Law.

The above description is based on information published in "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.

About this Transcript

 The information which is contained in this file has been transcribed from the original registers, scans of which are included. Information has been indexed as written. The originals are held by the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.

PLEASE NOTE: The first baptism register covering 1863-1886 was irrecoverably damaged by damp. Only one page was salvageable. This is included in this transcript and index.

Share this Product

More from this collection